This portal is now closed.
The deadline for submissions has passed.
The Lone Star State School Counselor Association (LSSSCA) invites you to submit a proposal to present a breakout session at the LSSSCA Annual Conference. Your experience in this field is even more valuable when shared with others who care about meeting the personal/social, academic and career needs of the children and youth of Texas.
We are looking for presentations that will help to build the capacity of Texas school counselors to help our students be ready for the next step on their academic journey.
Planning a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Assessments and evaluations of counseling programs and individual components
- Effective strategies to close achievement and opportunity gaps
- Using data to deliver effective counseling programs
- Utilizing social media to market your counseling program
- Managing your program with technology
- Leadership Skills
Guidance Curriculum / School Counseling Core Curriculum
- Prevention strategies for drop out, teen pregnancy, suicide and alcohol/drug abuse
- Postsecondary awareness strategies for all grade levels
Individual Student Planning
- Improving ACT and SAT scores
- Effective Counselor roles with RtI
- Improving graduation rate
- Reducing Test Anxiety
- Helping Transient Students (Foster, Migrant, Homeless, etc.)
- Effective School Counselor intervention for student discipline issues
- Interventions for special situations, such as suicide, alcohol/drug abuse, teen pregnancy, etc.
- Tier 2 social/emotional interventions
- Tier 3 social/emotional interventions
Student Support Services
- Leading trainings for teachers and parents
- Effective parent engagement strategies
- Building community partnerships
- Advocating to reduce systemic barriers to student success
- Working with district-level leaders
- Growing your counselors
- Working with new leaders (lead counselors, supervisors, directors)
- Evaluating school counselors
- Growing your own leadership skills
Must Submit Your Vitae/Resume: In addition to filling out and submitting the form below, applicants are REQUIRED to submit a PDF of their vitae or resume, which includes their degree, educational training, certifications and licenses.
LSSSCA will convene a committee to review and select Conference sessions. You will be contacted by NCYI, the organization managing this conference, to let you know if your proposal is accepted. If selected to be a presenter your registration fee will be reduced by $20 off the regular main conference registration rate. (This does not apply to the Pre-Conference Learning Sessions.)
We carefully consider all proposals in an effort to share successes in issues facing today’s youth.
Deadline for Submission:
May 31, 2020
Extended to June 15, 2020
Notice regarding proposal acceptance will be sent via e-mail by July 15, 2020.
All communications regarding your breakout session will come to you directly, and you will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any).
PRESENTER CONFERENCE REGISTRATION RATES:
Breakout Session Presenters (up to one Lead Presenter and one Co-Presenter per breakout session):
- Early Bird Rate (by September 15, 2020): $130
- Regular Rate (between September 16-30, 2020): $150
These rates reflect $20 off the regular main conference registration rate. (This does not apply to the Pre-Conference Learning Sessions.)
If your session is approved, the Lead Presenter will be emailed a link to the special Registration Portal for Approved Presenters.
If you and/or your Co-Presenter (if any) plan to present the breakout session and then leave, there will be no registration fee. By not registering, you will not be given a name badge, program manual or tote bag, and will not be able to participate in any other sessions or meal functions at the Conference.
- HANDOUTS: You will be responsible for preparing and copying handouts for your session(s). If you feel your session will be popular, please adjust amount as you feel necessary. Closer to the event date we will inform you of how many copies you may need. We will also provide the opportunity to upload your handouts to the LSSSCA webpage for participants to download. More details to follow if your session is approved.
- HOTEL RESERVATIONS: Presenters must make their own hotel reservations and are responsible for all other travel expenses.
- CO-PRESENTERS: All communications regarding your breakout session will come to the Lead Presenter directly, and will be responsible for sharing it with a Co-Presenter (if any). Also note the rate structure for Co-Presenters above. If a Co-Presenter is not added at the time of the CFP submission, one cannot be added in the future.
- WI-FI: The hotel is equipped with Wi-Fi Internet that is complimentary for presenters only. We highly recommend designing your session so that you will not need internet access, since it can be slow or unreliable.
- POWER POINT PRESENTATIONS: The Association is asking that all Power Point presentations slides use a header template provided by LSSSCA. This template will be sent in the Acceptance Package if your session is chosen.
- AUDIO VISUAL EQUIPMENT: All meeting rooms will be arranged theater style. Please note that the Conference will provide a screen, A/V cart and power supply at no charge to you. However, the Conference will not be able to provide any other A/V equipment. You are responsible for providing your own LCD Projector, laptop and dongle/appropriate adapter, if needed for your presentation. If your presentation requires sound for a video or sound effect please make the necessary plan to provide that equipment on your own. If you need additional audio visual equipment, please contact the hotel. Any arrangements you make with the hotel will be at your own expense.
For more information or questions, please contact Chris Daugherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This portal is now closed.
The deadline for submissions has passed.
Make Hotel Reservations Early! Limited Availability!
Embassy Suites Dallas Frisco Hotel Convention Center and Spa
7600 John Q Hammons Drive
Frisco, TX 75034
The Embassy Suites, the Conference’s host hotel, has a conference rate of $159 per night, plus tax, which remains valid for reservations made by October 23, 2020, while rooms are available. The price includes full, cook-to-order breakfast and evening Manager’s Reception.
TO MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS:
- CALL: (972) 712-7200 or (800) 362-2779. Please be sure to tell the hotel that you are with the “LSSSCA 2020 Annual Conference” group and mention the group code “LSS“.
- REGISTER ONLINE: Make your reservation on the Embassy Suites website.