CALL FOR PRESENTERS
April 29-30, 2019
Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis – Hyannis, MA
THIS FORM IS CLOSED
The Massachusetts School Counselor Association is soliciting proposals for presentations promoting evidence-based programs in the domains of academic, career, and social/emotional development or highlighting the latest techniques and practices in school counseling. Presentations showcase proven programs, current research, or skills of value to counselors, pre-K to postsecondary as well as district personnel, graduate students and counselor educators.
Preference is given to sessions that relate directly to the work of school counselors or to the implementation of the MA Model for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs. Presentations should include evidence that supports the impact of the program or service. We are looking for presentations that will help to build the capacity of Massachusetts school counselors to help our students be ready for the next step on their academic journey.
TARGETED AREAS MAY INCLUDE:
Planning a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Assessments and evaluations of counseling programs and individual components
- Effective strategies to close achievement and opportunity gaps
- Using data to deliver effecting counseling programs
- Utilizing social media to market your counseling program
- Managing your program with technology
- Leadership Skills
Guidance Curriculum / School Counseling Core Curriculum
- Prevention strategies for drop out, teen pregnancy, suicide and alcohol/drug abuse
- Postsecondary awareness strategies for all grade levels
Individual Student Planning
- Improving ACT and SAT scores
- Effective counselor roles with RTI
- Improving graduation rate
- Reducing test anxiety
- Helping Transient Students (Foster, Migrant, Homeless, etc.)
- Effective School Counselor intervention for student discipline issues
Student Support Services
- Leading trainings for teachers and parents
- Effective parent engagement strategies
- Building community partnerships
- Advocating to reduce systemic barriers to student success
- Any pre-conference events that are planned will take place on Monday, April 29th. This call for presenters is seeking proposals for the learning break out sessions that will take place on the conference day, Tuesday, April 30th only.
- Proposals are only accepted through completion of this electronic form.
- There may be no more than three (3) presenters (one lead presenter and two co-presenters) for any session. All communication with presenters will take place via the Lead Presenter email address provided on the registration form.
- Presenters may submit more than one proposal for consideration.
- Presenters who intend to sell and/or promote a product as a central element of their presentation are encouraged to explore the Sponsors and Exhibitors information. Only if space permits may these programs be considered. If a program of this nature is accepted, it does not mean that MASCA endorses the product.
- Please plan your proposal based on a program session of approximately 50 minutes.
- Acceptance of a proposal does not mean that MASCA endorses the content.
- If your session is offered in support of a commercial product or service, clearly indicate the product/service on the session proposal form.
Must Submit Your Vitae/Resume: In addition to filling out and submitting the form below, applicants are REQUIRED to submit a PDF of their vitae or resume, which includes their degree, educational training, certifications and licenses.
MASCA will convene a committee to review and select Conference sessions. You will be contacted by NCYI, the organization managing this conference, to let you know if your proposal is accepted. We carefully consider all proposals in an effort to share successes in issues facing today’s youth.
Deadline for Submission is:
November 30, 2018
Extended to December 10, 2018
THIS FORM IS CLOSED
Notice regarding proposal acceptance will be sent via e-mail by January 4, 2019.
All communications regarding your breakout session will come to you directly, and you will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any).
PRESENTER CONFERENCE REGISTRATION RATES:
Breakout Session Presenters (up to one Lead Presenter and two Co-Presenters per breakout session):
- FULL CONFERENCE – Includes Pre-Conference, Early Registration Rate (by Feb. 28th): $50
- FULL CONFERENCE – Includes Pre-Conference, Standard Registration Rate (after Feb. 28th): $70
If your session is approved, the Lead Presenter will be emailed a link to the special Registration Portal for Approved Presenters.
If you and/or your Co-presenter(s), if any, plan to present the breakout session and then leave, there will be no registration fee. By not registering, you will not be given a name badge, program or tote bag, and will not be able to participate in any other sessions or meal functions at the Conference.
- HANDOUTS: Plan to provide 30-40 handouts. If you feel your session will be popular, please adjust amount as you feel necessary. Presenters are asked to submit electronic materials for posting on the MASCA website after the conference.
- HOTEL RESERVATIONS: Presenters must make their own hotel reservations and are responsible for all other travel expenses.
- CO-PRESENTERS: All communications regarding your breakout session will come to the Lead Presenter directly, and will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any). Also note the rate structure for Co-Presenters above.
- WI-FI: The Resort is equipped with Wi-Fi Internet that is complimentary for all attendees. We highly recommend designing your session so that you will not need internet access, since it can be slow or unreliable.
- AUDIO VISUAL EQUIPMENT: Please note that the Conference will not supply any audio visual equipment, such as LCD Projectors and Laptops (as was noted on the Call for Presenter application). All equipment or a/v needs are at the presenter’s expense and responsibility. However, the Conference will be able to supply a screen and a table with a power connection in each breakout room. If you need additional audio visual equipment, please contact the hotel at (866) 828-9111. Any arrangements you make with the hotel will be at your own expense.
For more information or questions, please contact Chris Daugherty at email@example.com.
Make Hotel Reservations Early! Limited Availability!
Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis
35 Scudder Avenue
All events of the Conference will be located in the Conference Center. Standard rooms at the hotel may be reserved at a special conference rate of $99 plus tax. This rate is valid through April 15, 2019.
TO MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS:
- CALL: (866) 828-9111 (Option 3). Please be sure to mention Massachusetts School Counselor Conference, group code “MSCA.”
- REGISTER ONLINE: Go to the Resort Website and follow these instructions:
- In the right hand corner of the screen on the hotel main page,click on “Check Availability/Book Online”
- Click on “Number of Adults”
- Click on “Add Code,” then a drop box will appear
- In the drop down box choose “Group Attendee”
- In the empty box below add code: MSCA, then click “Add”
- Finally, click “Complete Reservation” to proceed with reservation