We are excited to announce that the 2022 MASCA Conference will offer both an in-person experience and a virtual option!
The Massachusetts School Counselor Association is soliciting proposals for presentations promoting evidence-based programs in the domains of academic, career, and social/emotional development or highlighting the latest techniques and practices in school counseling. Presentations showcase proven programs, current research, or skills of value to counselors, pre-K to postsecondary as well as district personnel, graduate students and counselor educators. MASCA is committed to providing programming that fosters inclusion, diversity, equity , and access, and we welcome session proposals that address these topics.
Preference is given to sessions that relate directly to the work of school counselors, or to the implementation of the MA Model for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs. Also, presentations that pertain to these domains: Academic, Career, and/or Personal / Social – Social / Emotional Presentations, should include evidence that supports the impact of the program or service. We are looking for presentations that will help build the capacity of Massachusetts school counselors to help our students be ready for the next step on their academic journey.
TARGETED AREAS MAY INCLUDE:
Planning a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Assessments and evaluations of counseling programs and individual components
- Effective strategies to close achievement and opportunity gaps
- Using data to deliver effecting counseling programs
- Utilizing social media to market your counseling program
- Managing your program with technology
- Leadership Skills
Guidance Curriculum / School Counseling Core Curriculum
- Prevention strategies for drop out, teen pregnancy, suicide and alcohol/drug abuse
- Postsecondary awareness strategies for all grade levels
Individual Student Planning
- Improving ACT and SAT scores
- Effective counselor roles with RTI
- Improving graduation rate
- Reducing test anxiety
- Helping Transient Students (Foster, Migrant, Homeless, etc.)
- Effective School Counselor intervention for student discipline issues
Student Support Services
- Leading trainings for teachers and parents
- Effective parent engagement strategies
- Building community partnerships
- Advocating to reduce systemic barriers to student success
Social Emotional Learning
- Mental Health Literacy
- Implementing SEL in Schools
- SEL support as Multi Tiered System of Support (MTSS)
- Trauma Informed Practice
- Any pre-conference events that are planned will take place on Monday, April 4th. This call for presenters is seeking proposals for the learning break out sessions that will take place on the conference day, Tuesday, April 5th only.
- Proposals are only accepted through completion of this electronic form.
- There may be no more than three (3) presenters (one lead presenter and two co-presenters) for any session. All communication with presenters will take place via the Lead Presenter email address provided on the registration form.
- Presenters may submit more than one proposal for consideration.
- Presenters who intend to sell and/or promote a product as a central element of their presentation are encouraged to explore the Sponsors and Exhibitors information. Only if space permits may these programs be considered. If a program of this nature is accepted, it does not mean that MASCA endorses the product.
- Please plan your proposal based on a program session of approximately 50 minutes.
- Acceptance of a proposal does not mean that MASCA endorses the content.
- If your session is offered in support of a commercial product or service, clearly indicate the product/service on the session proposal form.
Please note that the 2022 MASCA Conference will have both in-person and virtual options.
As a presenter, you will be asked to present at the in-person event AND submit a pre-recorded version of your session to be shared with the virtual attendees. More details about this will be included in your acceptance email, if your session is chosen.
As a way of saying thank you, presenters will be offered deeply discounted registration rates! See below for details.
Must Submit Your Vitae/Resume: In addition to filling out and submitting the form below, applicants are REQUIRED to submit a PDF of their vitae or resume, which includes their degree, educational training, certifications and licenses.
MASCA will convene a committee to review and select Conference sessions. You will be contacted by NCYI, the organization managing this conference, to let you know if your proposal is accepted. We carefully consider all proposals in an effort to share successes in issues facing today’s youth.
Deadline for Submission is: November 24, 2021
Notice regarding proposal acceptance will be sent via e-mail by mid-December.
All communications regarding your breakout session will come to you directly, and you will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any).
Registration rates for approved presenters will be deeply discounted this year!
PRESENTER CONFERENCE REGISTRATION RATES:
Early Registration (by Feb. 4, 2022) for the MAIN Conference: $50
(up to one Lead Presenter and two Co-Presenters per breakout session)
Regular Registration (after Feb. 4, 2022) for the MAIN Conference: $70
(up to one Lead Presenter and two Co-Presenters per breakout session)
If your session is approved, the Lead Presenter will be emailed a link to the special Registration Portal for Approved Presenters.
If you and/or your Co-presenter(s), if any, plan to present the breakout session and then leave, there will be no registration fee. By not registering, you will not be given a name badge, program or tote bag, and will not be able to participate in any other sessions or meal functions at the Conference.
- Breakout sessions will be presented BOTH in-person at the conference AND prerecorded to be submitted by Friday, March 11, 2022 to be placed on the virtual conference portal. Sessions need to be one hour in length. Files must be in an mp4 file format. We suggest you use Zoom or Webex to record your session. More instructions will be provided if your proposal is accepted.
- PRESENTATION MATERIALS: All presentation materials (handouts, PowerPoint presentations, etc.) must also be submitted by March 11, 2022. WSCA will upload the information to a secure area of the WSCA website or conference app for conference attendees. For your in-person session(s), you will be responsible for preparing and copying handouts, if you would like for your participants to have hard copies. We suggest 50-75 handouts. If you feel your session will be popular, please adjust amount as you feel necessary. Closer to the event date we will inform you of how many copies you may need. More details to come.
- HOTEL RESERVATIONS: Presenters must make their own hotel reservations and are responsible for all other travel expenses.
- CO-PRESENTERS: All communications regarding your breakout session will come to the Lead Presenter directly, and will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any). Also note the rate structure for Co-Presenters above.
- WI-FI: The Boston Marriott Newton is equipped with Wi-Fi Internet that is complimentary for all attendees. We highly recommend designing your session so that you will not need internet access, since it can be slow or unreliable.
- AUDIO VISUAL EQUIPMENT: Please note that the Conference will not supply any audio visual equipment, such as LCD Projectors and Laptops (as was noted on the Call for Presenter application). All equipment or a/v needs are at the presenter’s expense and responsibility. However, the Conference will be able to supply a screen and a table with a power connection in each breakout room. If you need additional audio visual equipment, please contact the hotel at (866) 828-9111. Any arrangements you make with the hotel will be at your own expense.
For more information or questions, please contact Chris Daugherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make Hotel Reservations Early! Limited Availability!
Boston Marriott Newton
2345 Commonwealth Avenue
Newton, MA 02466
All events of the Conference will be located at the Boston Marriott Newton. Standard rooms at the hotel may be reserved at a special conference rate of $149 plus tax. This rate is valid through March 18, 2022.
TO MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS:
- CALL: (800) 228-9290 or (617) 969-1000. Please be sure to mention the Massachusetts School Counselor Association.
- REGISTER ONLINE: Make reservations on the Marriott website.