CALL FOR PRESENTERS
October 1-2, 2020
The New Jersey School Counselor Association is soliciting proposals for presentations promoting evidence-based programs in the domains of academic, career, and social/emotional development or highlighting the latest techniques and practices in school counseling. Presentations showcase proven programs, current research, or skills of value to counselors, pre-K to postsecondary as well as district personnel, graduate students and counselor educators.
Presentations should include evidence that supports the impact of the program or service. We are looking for presentations that will help to build the capacity of New Jersey school counselors to help our students be ready for the next step on their academic journey.
TARGETED AREAS MAY INCLUDE:
Planning a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Assessments and evaluations of counseling programs and individual components
- Effective strategies to close achievement and opportunity gaps
- Using data to deliver effective counseling programs
- Utilizing social media to market your counseling program
- Managing your program with technology
- Leadership Skills
School Counseling Curriculum
- Prevention strategies for drop out, teen pregnancy, suicide and alcohol/drug abuse
- Postsecondary awareness strategies for all grade levels
Individual Student Planning
- Improving ACT and SAT scores
- Effective Counselor roles with RtI
- Improving graduation rate
- Reducing Test Anxiety
- Helping Transient Students (Foster, Migrant, Homeless, etc.)
- Effective School Counselor intervention for student discipline issues
Student Support Services
- Leading trainings for teachers and parents
- Effective parent engagement strategies
- Building community partnerships
- Advocating to reduce systemic barriers to student success
- Any pre-conference events that are planned will take place on Thursday, October 1st. This Call for Presenters is seeking proposals for the learning break out sessions that will take place on the conference day, Friday, October 2nd only.
- Proposals are only accepted through completion of this electronic form.
- There may be no more than three (3) presenters for any session (one lead presenter and two co-presenters). All communication with presenters will take place via the Lead Presenter email address provided on the registration form.
- Presenters may submit more than one proposal for consideration.
- Presenters who intend to sell and/or promote a product as a central element of their presentation are encouraged to explore the Sponsors and Exhibitors information. Only if space permits may these programs be considered. If a program of this nature is accepted, it does not mean that NJSCA endorses the product.
- Please plan your proposal based on a program session of approximately 50 minutes.
- Acceptance of a proposal does not mean that NJSCA endorses the content.
- If your session is offered in support of a commercial product or service, clearly indicate the product/service on the session proposal form.
Must Submit Your Vitae/Resume: In addition to filling out and submitting the form below, applicants are REQUIRED to submit a PDF of their vitae or resume, which includes their degree, educational training, certifications and licenses.
NJSCA will convene a committee to review and select Conference sessions. You will be contacted by NCYI, the organization managing this conference, to let you know if your proposal is accepted. We carefully consider all proposals in an effort to share successes in issues facing today’s youth.
Deadline for Submission is: May 15, 2020
Notice regarding proposal acceptance will be sent via e-mail by June 30, 2020.
All communications regarding your breakout session will come to you directly, and you will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any).
PRESENTER CONFERENCE REGISTRATION RATES:
Breakout Session Presenters (up to one Lead Presenter and two Co-Presenters per breakout session):
- Early Registration Rate (by September 5, 2020): $50
- Standard Registration Rate (after September 5, 2020): $60
(These rates are for Friday Only. Pre-Conference is not included.)
If your session is approved, the lead presenter will be emailed a link to the special Registration Portal for Approved Presenters.
If you and/or your Co-Presenter (if any) plan to present the breakout session and then leave, there will be no registration fee. By not registering, you will not be given a name badge, program manual or tote bag, and will not be able to participate in any other sessions or meal functions at the Conference.
- HANDOUTS: You will be responsible for preparing and copying handouts for your session(s). Plan to provide 30-40 handouts. . If you feel your session will be popular, please adjust amount as you feel necessary. Closer to the event date we will inform you of how many copies you may need
- HOTEL RESERVATIONS: Presenters must make their own hotel reservations and are responsible for all other travel expenses.
- CO-PRESENTERS: All communications regarding your breakout session will come to the Lead Presenter directly, and will be responsible for sharing it with a Co-Presenter (if any). Also note the rate structure for Co-Presenters above. If a Co-Presenter is not added at the time of the CFP submission one cannot be added in the future.
- WI-FI: The Resort is equipped with Wi-Fi Internet that is complimentary for all attendees. However, we highly recommend designing your session so that you will not need internet access, since it can be slow or unreliable.
- AUDIO VISUAL EQUIPMENT: All meeting rooms will be arranged theater style. Please note that the Conference will provide a LCD Projector, screen, A/V cart and power supply at no charge to you. However, the Conference will not be able to provide any other A/V equipment. You are responsible for providing your own laptop and dongle/appropriate adapter, if needed for your presentation. If your presentation requires sound for a video or sound effect please make the necessary plan to provide that equipment on your own. If you need additional audio visual equipment, please contact the hotel. Any arrangements you make with the hotel will be at your own expense.
For more information or questions, please contact Chris Daugherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make Hotel Reservations Early! Limited Availability!
2055 E Lincoln Hwy
Edison, NJ 08817
The Crowne Plaza, the Conference’s host hotel, has a conference rate of $121 per night, plus tax, which remains valid for reservations made by September 10, 2020, while rooms are available.
TO MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS:
- CALL: (866) 781-2414 Please be sure to tell the hotel the group code: “SCR” or Block ID# “834708.”
- REGISTER ONLINE: Reservations can be made on the Crowne Plaza website. Choose the nights of September 30, October 1st, or both nights, and then select Book. The Group Code “SCR” to receive the conference discount should already be pre-filled.
*All reservations must be guaranteed and accompanied by a first night room deposit or guaranteed with a major credit card.
**If you are an IHG Priority Club Member please make sure you provide your number at the time of booking your reservation.