This portal is now closed.
The deadline for submissions has passed.
The New York State School Counselor Association is soliciting proposals for presentations promoting evidence-based programs in the domains of academic, career, and social/emotional development or highlighting the latest techniques and practices in school counseling. Presentations showcase proven programs, current research, or skills of value to counselors, pre-K to postsecondary as well as district personnel, graduate students and counselor educators.
Preference is given to sessions that relate directly to the work of school counselors or to the implementation of the New York State Education Department Comprehensive School Counseling Regulations. Presentations should include evidence that supports the impact of the program or service. We are looking for presentations that will help to build the capacity of New York school counselors to help our students be ready for the next step on their academic journey.
TARGETED AREAS MAY INCLUDE:
Access to College & Career Prep Programs
Comprehensive Program Development
Counselor Preparation Programs
Guidance Curriculum / School Counseling Core Curriculum
- Prevention strategies for drop out, teen pregnancy, suicide and alcohol/drug abuse
- Postsecondary awareness strategies for all grade levels
Individual Student Planning
- Improving ACT and SAT scores
- Effective counselor roles with MTSS
- Improving graduation rate
- Reducing test anxiety
Partnerships with Agencies and Foundations
Planning a Comprehensive School Counseling Program
- Assessments and evaluations of counseling programs and individual components
- Effective strategies to close achievement and opportunity gaps
- Strategies leading to equitable access to AP, IB, dual enrollment and early college programs
- Using data to deliver affecting counseling programs
- Utilizing social media to market your counseling program
- Managing your program with technology
- Leadership skills and school counselor advocacy
Principal – Counselor Partnerships
- Helping Transient Students (Foster, Migrant, Homeless, etc.)
- Effective School Counselor intervention for student discipline issues
Social Emotional Development and the Comprehensive Model
Student Support Services
- Leading trainings for teachers and parents
- Effective parent engagement strategies
- Building community partnerships
- Advocating to reduce systemic barriers to student success
- We are accepting proposals for conference breakout sessions on this form.
- Proposals are only accepted through completion of this electronic form.
- There may be no more than three (3) presenters (one lead presenter and two co-presenters) for any session. All communication with presenters will take place via the Lead Presenter email address provided on the registration form.
- Presenters may submit more than one proposal for consideration.
- Presenters who intend to sell and/or promote a product as a central element of their presentation are encouraged to explore the Sponsors and Exhibitors information. Only if space permits may these programs be considered. If a program of this nature is accepted, it does not mean that NYSSCA endorses the product.
- Please plan your proposal based on a program session of approximately 60 minutes.
- Acceptance of a proposal does not mean that NYSSCA endorses the content.
- If your session is offered in support of a commercial product or service, clearly indicate the product/service on the session proposal form.
Must Submit Your Vitae/Resume: In addition to filling out and submitting the form below, applicants are REQUIRED to submit a PDF of their vitae or resume, which includes their degree, educational training, certifications and licenses.
NYSSCA will convene a committee to review and select Conference sessions. You will be contacted by NCYI, the organization managing this conference, to let you know if your proposal is accepted. We carefully consider all proposals in an effort to share successes in issues facing today’s youth.
Deadline for Submission is:
May 15, 2021
June 15, 2021
Notice regarding proposal acceptance will be sent via e-mail by July 15, 2021.
All communications regarding your breakout session will come to you directly, and you will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any).
PRESENTER CONFERENCE REGISTRATION RATES:
Breakout Session Presenters (up to one Lead Presenter and two Co-Presenters per breakout session):
- FULL CONFERENCE – Includes Pre-Conference, Early Registration Rate (by Sep. 30, 2021): $155
- FULL CONFERENCE – Includes Pre-Conference, Standard Registration Rate (after Sep. 30, 2021): $170
- ONE DAY ATTENDANCE – THURSDAY ONLY (by Sep. 30, 2021): $60
- ONE DAY ATTENDANCE – THURSDAY ONLY (after Sep. 30, 2021): $110
- ONE DAY ATTENDANCE – FRIDAY ONLY (by Sep. 30, 2021): $90
- ONE DAY ATTENDANCE – FRIDAY ONLY (after Sep. 30, 2021): $105
- ONE DAY ATTENDANCE – SATURDAY ONLY (by by Sep. 30, 2021): $65
- ONE DAY ATTENDANCE – SATURDAY ONLY (after Sep. 30, 2021): $80
If your session is approved, the Lead Presenter will be emailed a link to the special Registration Portal for Approved Presenters.
If you and/or your Co-presenter(s), if any, plan to present the breakout session and then leave, there will be no registration fee. By not registering, you will not be given a name badge, program or tote bag, and will not be able to participate in any other sessions or meal functions at the Conference.
- HANDOUTS: Plan to provide 30-40 handouts. If you feel your session will be popular, please adjust amount as you feel necessary. Presenters are asked to submit electronic materials for posting on the Conference App (prior and during the conference) NYSSCA website after the conference.
- HOTEL RESERVATIONS: Presenters must make their own hotel reservations and are responsible for all other travel expenses.
- CO-PRESENTERS: All communications regarding your breakout session will come to the Lead Presenter directly, and will be responsible for sharing it with a co-presenter (if any). Also note the rate structure for Co-Presenters above.
- WI-FI: The Resort is equipped with Wi-Fi Internet that is complimentary for all attendees. We highly recommend designing your session so that you will not need internet access, since it can be slow or unreliable.
- NOTE: Supplemental materials and laptop computers and connectors should be provided by the presenter. Screens, projectors, power cords, and wi-fi connection will be provided by the conference center. PLEASE LET US KNOW IN ADVANCE IF YOU WILL NEED OTHER MATERIALS.
For more information or questions, please contact Chris Daugherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This portal is now closed.
The deadline for submissions has passed.
Make Hotel Reservations Early! Limited Availability!
Turning Stone Resort and Convention Center
5218 Patrick Rd
Verona, NY 13478
The Turning Stone Resort and Convention Center, the Conference’s host hotel, has a conference rate of $139 per night, plus tax, which remains valid for reservations made by October 12, 2021, while rooms are available.
TO MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS:
- CALL: (800) 771-7711. Please be sure to tell the hotel that you are with the “New York State School Counselor Association.”